Saturday, March 12, 2011

June is a good month for books. A really good month.

I don't want to ever come across as "I work at a publisher and get books before you do, nanny nanny boo boo." But in the same breath, I will admit to you that I'm the kind of person that isn't good at keeping secrets. My own, at least. Okay, and other people's sometimes too. I grew up with siblings and we were always forced encouraged to share toys, clothes, and information. So it's the sister in me that is going to tell you about this wonderful book that you can't buy until June (nanny nanny boo boo).

Speaking of sisters:

Rosamund Lupton has written a stunning book exploring that exact subject. And murder. And genetic testing. And suicide. And the intricacies of human relationship. And the strength of love between siblings.

If there is genetic testing, compelling interpersonal relationships, cute doctors and a crime scene it usually takes a lot to talk me out of liking a story. But that aside, Sister is breathtaking.

Like, actually. I got to a certain part of the story and gasped. Have I ever shared with you how difficult it is to get me to be stunned by a plot twist?

Case in point: Pretty Little Liars There is a popular YA series that has been made into a TV show. I watched the pilot of the show, decided it wasn't worth my time and promptly ordered the first in an eight book series from the library, just to see if the strong premise was played out any better in the books. Books are always better than the TV interpretations anyways. Halfway through the book, I decided that there was a crazy twin running around making people's lives miserable. Wikipedia to the resuce and EIGHT BOOKS LATER it was revealed that there was, indeed, a crazy twin sister.

Sigh. At least I didn't waste my time on more than 100 pages of it.

Maybe I read too many mysteries as a kid. Maybe I just read too much as a kid in general, but there was absolutely nothing about that series that warrants how popular it is...other than the lack of imagination from pop culture these days, and how they would rather see pretty people running around on screen instead of being told a compelling story.

*Glances backwards and takes a cautious step off soap box. Grins.* I digress...

This book was rich. Texture, grief, weather, relationships, everything described in this book will evoke emotion from you. I walked around for three days feeling like my guts had been ripped out. I wanted to call my little sister every 2.5 minutes just so she was sure that I love her. I highly recommend this book to anyone that has a close relationship with their sister.

I think one of my favorite things about this book was the gradual way that Bee (the older sister) found herself sliding into Tess' life. To the point that their mother even comments on how similar she looks to the little sister. It makes you realize that no matter the seeming distance between you, the bond between siblings is something profound that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Sister from Rosamund Lupton was originally released in the UK and makes it's US debut in June 2011. It's the kind of book that I will purchase simply so I can loan it to people.

1 comment:

"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."- Thumper