Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Of Romance, Peaches, and The Chicago Cubs

When it comes to Sarah Addison Allen, I'm a bit of a homer. You know, someone who's so blinded by their love and devotion that they don't necessarily see the draw-backs. Apparently "homer" is a sports term almost entirely created for Chicago Cubs fans. Okay, not actually, but it is really a sports term.

When people ask me what my favorite book of hers is, I can never give a straight answer. I like them all for similar reasons. Great characters, charming setting, believable romance, and sublimely understated word-smithing.

Truth be told, I don't think I've ever taken longer than 48 hours to read any of her books. I devour them. And The Peach Keeper was no exception. I actually think I did it in about 20.

My only complaints with her books is that sometimes (ONLY SOMETIMES) I wish a darker theme would sneak in the story. I think Garden Spells and the abusive ex-boyfriend was as good as it got. I never asked for creepy. I think that would betray who she is as an author. But something slightly sinister. I have said this for a while now. And it paid off because SARAH LISTENED! There is finally the element of mystery. Real, honest, police-are-involved mystery.

One of her strengths as an author is weaving the fates of broken people together and The Peach Keeper is no exception. I really liked Paxton. Her southern socialite gig could have gotten old really quick, but early in the story the author dove right under the surface of that character, making her immediately identifiable. I spent most of the book really rooting for her. Even more than the other main character, Willa.

I think the thing I appreciate most about Sarah Addison Allen though, is her subtlety. I mean, that woman can craft similes that stick with you like the fondness for a kindergarten crush. But she never rubs your nose in it. There are some authors in the women's fiction genre *coughJodiPicoultcough* that pound their "art" into their manuscript with the dedication of a mean-faced nun at a Catholic boarding school.

Unlike her other books, which all had very appropriate titles, this title only makes sense if you hold it far away from the story and squint at it. And if you replace the word Peach with Promise...maybe. And as far as I can say, I think that is my only qualm with the book. It was a truly beautiful read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."- Thumper