Thursday, August 6, 2009

Why I'm Not as Thin as I want to be Part 2 (iLike: food)

I like food.

I know this is a problem for almost everyone here in America. Except my mom. I'm convinced her taste buds don't work quite right, because she ALWAYS eats healthy. In my estimation, cardboard tastes better than some things she passes off as crackers or cereal. I do aspire to be like her. I would love to be so dedicated to my pursuit of health. But until they stop making mozzarella sticks, cheeseburgers and Fat Tire, I will eat because I love it.

I want to learn to cook better. I make a mean pot roast and some pretty fair chicken teriyaki, but I want to be really good. Like Epicurious.com good. I always feel so ashamed when I go to that sight because every third recipe calls for fennel. I don't even know what fennel looks like, no less where to find it in the store. *Deep shame and self-loathing*

I'm not sure how Mr. Awesome would respond though. Bless his meat-and-taters heart, he's one of the pickiest eaters I've ever met. Moms with 5 year olds that only eat chicken nuggets and Honey Nut Cheerios's, imagine him being 31. I'm worried that this is what would unfold if I got experimental with my evening menus:

This was for my birthday when we were dating. Maybe we were engaged, I don't remember, the significant thing to remember is: we weren't married yet. He had to try harder back then.

He took me to a great sushi place in Denver. I adore sushi. It's a luxury for me. I never make it for myself, so in my mind it is associated with special events.

He ordered steak.

So I begged him to try some of my sushi. Since, as I mentioned before, we hadn't tied the knot yet, he had to try. It's boyfriend law.




And THAT, my friends, is why I will be eating food with that special bar-food way of frying or grilling everything and fighting to take those calories off for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. Ha! :)

    I wish I were a better cook, too. I always mean to experiment and try new, fancy things...and then I just eat a bowl of cereal or make tacos.

    :)
    JessB

    ReplyDelete

"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."- Thumper